Broccoli builds muscle by increasing stem cell growth?

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
matter2003

Broccoli builds muscle by increasing stem cell growth?

Post by matter2003 »

Study out showing how Brassica vegetables(broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc) increase muscle mass by inducing Hyperplasia(new muscle cell formation) via mesenchymal stem cell growth. Research is showing that these vegetables induce stem cells in the muscle fibers to grow into fully formed muscle cells. Hormones such as IGF-1 and NO Donors enhance this process.

These vegetables are high in glucosinolates like glucoraphanin. Myrosinase is an enzyme that is released when you cut the vegetables, cook them lightly or chew them, and this converts the glucosinolates into sulforaphane.

A diet containing a small amount of sulforaphane activates the production of the detoxifying enzyme glutathione [GSH] and therefore offers protection against some kinds of cancer, such as intestinal cancer. This is because sulforphane attaches itself to glutathione and thus stimulates cells to produce more glutathione. Too much sulforaphane, however, robs the body of its detoxifying capacity.

*****Rob, I cannot remember exactly what you wrote about Glutathione, but I believe you said something like the body uses it as an overall marker for aging or something to that effect and you mentioned how important this was...this bodes very well for that....*****

The researchers discovered that low concentrations of sulforaphane [SFN], of 1 and 0.25 micromole – that's about the amount you find in the body of someone who has eaten cabbage – stimulate the development of mesenchymal stem cells. The graph below shows how much tetrazolium salt the stem cells convert into formazan. Cells make more of this enzyme when they increase in number.

The table above shows the amount of bromodeoxyuridine [BrdU] the stem cells absorb. BrdU is a markered building block of genetic material. The more BrdU the stem cells take up, the more often they have divided.

The low concentrations of sulforaphane not only resulted in more new stem cells; they also help existing stem cells to live longer. They inhibit apoptosis, or cell death. The figure below shows why high-dose sulforaphane supplements are probably not such a good idea.

"Low intake of R-SFN, as can be obtained by eating Brassica vegetables, may be beneficial for health because it seems to have protective effects on stem cells", the Italians conclude.

Unencumbered by an overdose of knowledge, we would go a step further and say that a diet containing Brassica vegetables may well provide bodybuilders' muscle tissue with more stem cells. That would improve their recovery and growth. If you’re thinking of trying this out, don't use preserved vegetables. These only contain a fraction of the amount of glucosinolates that you find in fresh cabbage.

Looks like I will be eating the hell out of some cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli...
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Don't forget the Gax-X/Beano...

Unfortunately, doesn't even put a dent in King Flatulences... "gift" :)
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

RobRegish wrote:Don't forget the Gax-X/Beano...

Unfortunately, doesn't even put a dent in King Flatulences... "gift" :)
Yeah broccoli can be brutal...the worst is when u combine broccoli and tuna together...smells like death incarnate
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

I eat broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or a mix of them 2-3 times a week without gas. I think my body got used to it :)

I steam a batch and when ready I add couple drops of extra virgin cold press olive oil and a little bit of steak spices mix. Hummm!!! I have no problem doing that 3 days in a row. Glad I saw this study, I will continue.

Thanks Matter!
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Siberian kale !

Kale is the mother and father of all the brassica's

More important than spinach to me...

Leaves, flowers, florets.

Alternate raw and lightly steamed.

Easy to grow. Hardy year around in most places except far northern states, etc

Complements KA...
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Ate red kale last night, but i made it into chips with garlic, sesame oil and salt. Very nice
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

Hank! wrote:Ate red kale last night, but i made it into chips with garlic, sesame oil and salt. Very nice
....how do you do this?
It sounds like a way I'd be able to eat it lol
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Cleaned a bunch of kale, but you can buy the big bags pre cut. Wash it, dry it
Cut it into manageable bite size strips

Chop up as much garlic as you like. For me that's about 3 cloves. I used 1tbs olive oil and 1 tbs toasted sesame oil. Tossed it all added salt re tossed

Parchment paper> oven 375 for 10 minutes, toss again another 10 minutes, then you'll have to check if they are crisped enough for you, if not more time in oven..

My kids both liked it
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

pablum from the internet
“ Eater bitter” is a literal translation of Chinese "吃苦", which refers to endure hardship

Mainstream culture really only acknowledges the nice and the easy, anything that needs dedication or (heaven forbid) any pain or discomfort either physically, emotionally or mentally is to be distrusted.

… the tastes across Europe and America are changing in one very similar respect, 'bitter' is becoming less and less common and people avoid it in prefering only the sweet. On our tongues we have receptors for sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and umami (glutamate). All other flavours are actually aromas, and are sensed by olfaction.
Glucosinolates are sulfur-containing compounds which give Cruciferous Vegetables and Brassica Plants their distinctive aromas. Various glucosinolates are well known for their varying cancer fighting abilities which brings us to the conclusion of the article on the cancer preventing benefits of Cruciferous Vegetables and Brassica Plants – broccoli is a cancer fighting powerhouse, but by including a variety of veggies of the same family to your menu, you will be able to gain protection against a wider range of cancers.

Broccoli can prevent the spread of cancer cells, but watercress is very rich in a compound that can fight cell damage caused by tobacco. Other brassica plants appear to have the ability to ward off hormone related cancers, such as breast cancer or prostate cancer. A group of cruciferous veggies appears to be especially effective against cancers triggered by chemicals. All in all, to reap the maximum cancer fighting benefits of Cruciferous Vegetables and Brassica Plants, it’s best to eat a variety, instead of focusing on just one.

Granted, aside from their cancer fighting properties, Cruciferous Vegetables and Brassica Plants are also rich in fiber, vitamin C, potassium, folate, lutein, beta carotene and various other cartenoids which vary from one veggie to another. The type of fiber found in brassica veggies is known for its prebiotic effect, which helps to stimulate the growth of intestinal bacteria (good bacteria). People with healthy bacteria culture in their gut are more resilient to diseases (have stronger immunity), have cleaner, more radiant complexion and feel more energetic. These bacteria may also help to reduce bloating which is often associated with consumption of certain veggies known for excessive gas production.

So go ahead and add a variety of Cruciferous Vegetables and Brassica Plants to your diet. The benefits of eating these go far beyond their proven cancer fighting properties. You’ll enjoy a fuller, healthier life and the best thing is – these veggies are inexpensive to buy and easy to grow for those of you who enjoy gardening
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

They don't call him "The Brain", without reason folks... :)
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

BrainSquirt wrote:pablum from the internet
“ Eater bitter” is a literal translation of Chinese "吃苦", which refers to endure hardship

Mainstream culture really only acknowledges the nice and the easy, anything that needs dedication or (heaven forbid) any pain or discomfort either physically, emotionally or mentally is to be distrusted.

… the tastes across Europe and America are changing in one very similar respect, 'bitter' is becoming less and less common and people avoid it in prefering only the sweet. On our tongues we have receptors for sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and umami (glutamate). All other flavours are actually aromas, and are sensed by olfaction.
Glucosinolates are sulfur-containing compounds which give Cruciferous Vegetables and Brassica Plants their distinctive aromas. Various glucosinolates are well known for their varying cancer fighting abilities which brings us to the conclusion of the article on the cancer preventing benefits of Cruciferous Vegetables and Brassica Plants – broccoli is a cancer fighting powerhouse, but by including a variety of veggies of the same family to your menu, you will be able to gain protection against a wider range of cancers.

Broccoli can prevent the spread of cancer cells, but watercress is very rich in a compound that can fight cell damage caused by tobacco. Other brassica plants appear to have the ability to ward off hormone related cancers, such as breast cancer or prostate cancer. A group of cruciferous veggies appears to be especially effective against cancers triggered by chemicals. All in all, to reap the maximum cancer fighting benefits of Cruciferous Vegetables and Brassica Plants, it’s best to eat a variety, instead of focusing on just one.

Granted, aside from their cancer fighting properties, Cruciferous Vegetables and Brassica Plants are also rich in fiber, vitamin C, potassium, folate, lutein, beta carotene and various other cartenoids which vary from one veggie to another. The type of fiber found in brassica veggies is known for its prebiotic effect, which helps to stimulate the growth of intestinal bacteria (good bacteria). People with healthy bacteria culture in their gut are more resilient to diseases (have stronger immunity), have cleaner, more radiant complexion and feel more energetic. These bacteria may also help to reduce bloating which is often associated with consumption of certain veggies known for excessive gas production.

So go ahead and add a variety of Cruciferous Vegetables and Brassica Plants to your diet. The benefits of eating these go far beyond their proven cancer fighting properties. You’ll enjoy a fuller, healthier life and the best thing is – these veggies are inexpensive to buy and easy to grow for those of you who enjoy gardening
Brassica vegetables are effective against some types of cancer that need estrogen to flourish, due to their high I-3-C content, or Indole-3-Carbonol, which gets converted into our good friend Diindolylmethane(DIM) upon chewing and digesting.

DIM is commonly used to enhance estrogen metabolism in people lifting weights and in many Anti-Aromatase products. It has also been found to a have a profound effect on preventing estrogen based cancers(breast, etc) from spreading, and in some cases can completely eradicate the cancer within 2 weeks.

However, never expect to hear this from doctors(other than Dr. David Williams) or well known cancer institutes who still brainwash the public into believing the only way to get rid of cancer is to poison the rest of your body, which is akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water, so they can continue their "crusade" to cure cancer, which is the biggest farce I have ever heard.

The only thing the AMA, cancer institutes, drug companies and doctors want to ensure is their continued enrichment through bilking the insurance companies and people who do not educate themselves to what is really going on, of billions and billions of dollars each year for treatments that rarely work, and if they do, usually its in spite of the treatment, not because of it.

Cure cancer? Dr. Royal Rife tried that almost 100 years ago...read about how he ended up going insane because he couldn't understand why the FDA, AMA and drug companies destroyed him when he showed how he could eradicate diseases...they don't want to cure cancer...merely prolong treatments, doctors visits and hospital stays to maximize their profits.
thicketman

Post by thicketman »

Speaking of DIM's health benefits:

https://www.dimfaq.com/site/articles.htm
biscuits

Post by biscuits »

im pretty sure glutathione-S-transferase is the primary detoxifier in the body produced by the liver

watched the documentary "The Beautiful Truth"

talks about the dangers of dental amalgams (mercury), water fluoridation, irradiation, food additives (such as msg and its by-products) and even the Gerson Therapy which has been effectively curing cancer for years (not available in Amerca because it is illegal to treat cancer without surgery, radiation, or chemo)...how we spent billions of dollars during the nixon era on cancer research yet cancer rates have doubled

it may sound like a huge conspiracy made up by hippy-homeopathic crackpots, but if you look it up there is a myriad of information on curing cancer and other 'incurable' diseases (human body = extremely powerful)

also read the book "Healing the Gerson Way"

sorry for being off topic..lol but thats how i learned about glutathione :oops:
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

biscuits wrote:im pretty sure glutathione-S-transferase is the primary detoxifier in the body produced by the liver

watched the documentary "The Beautiful Truth"

talks about the dangers of dental amalgams (mercury), water fluoridation, irradiation, food additives (such as msg and its by-products) and even the Gerson Therapy which has been effectively curing cancer for years (not available in Amerca because it is illegal to treat cancer without surgery, radiation, or chemo)...how we spent billions of dollars during the nixon era on cancer research yet cancer rates have doubled

it may sound like a huge conspiracy made up by hippy-homeopathic crackpots, but if you look it up there is a myriad of information on curing cancer and other 'incurable' diseases (human body = extremely powerful)

also read the book "Healing the Gerson Way"

sorry for being off topic..lol but thats how i learned about glutathione :oops:
If you like these, have a look into "food matters" DVD too. I own it and made me realized a lots of goodness form whole food, raw food and vitamins. I also have the "Gerson therapy" book but I haven't started reading it yet but I am looking forward to!