Awesome Recipe for anyone that likes Middle eastern food!!

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
matter2003

Awesome Recipe for anyone that likes Middle eastern food!!

Post by matter2003 »

Gotta share this with you guys...its really freaking good, really healthy and best of all super cheap to make!

Its called Mujadarrah, which is very popular all over the middle east, including Turkey(technically not Middle East, but shares similar foods in a lot of cases).

It contains 5 basic ingredients: Lentils, Rice(can use Brown or White---I prefer Brown), Olive Oil, Onions, and Plain Yogurt.

Here is the recipe, which I conveniently doubled for myself so I can have leftovers for work. This will serve 8, if you want to make it only serve four, then just halve the recipe.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup Olive Oil
2 large white onions, sliced into rings(I recommend 3, they cook down a lot)
2 2/3 cups of uncooked green lentils
1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice(white or brown)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 pinches of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of cumin

Directions:

1) Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the sliced onions and cook about 10-15 minutes, until dark brown(could be up to 20 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.

**If using Brown Rice:
2) Place lentils and rice in a medium saucepan with enough lightly salted water to cover. Toss in 2 pinches of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of cumin, season with salt and pepper, and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes, until rice and lentils are tender.

***If using White Rice:
2) Place lentils in a medium saucepan with enough lightly salted water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes

3) Stir in White Rice and enough water to cover into the saucepan with the lentils. Season with Salt and Pepper, toss in 2 pinches of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of cumin and stir. Cover saucepan and continue to simmer 15 to 20 minutes until rice and lentils are tender.

***For both rices:
4) Mix half the onions into the rice and lentil mixture. Top each plate with yogurt and remaining onion mixture and serve.

Nutrition Info:
8 servings
Carbs: 69.1 g
Protein: 17.3 g
Fat: 22.1 g
Fiber: 10.6g
Calories: 535

A little heavy on the fat, but its a good fat in olive oil(boosts your T!). You can slice up a little chicken to add some protein to it and it would be almost a perfect BP meal and so delicious!! You just made 2 to 3 days worth of meals for about 5 bucks!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great contribution, Matter!!!

Stuff like this, makes the BP Army bigger, better and badder. LEARN, SHARE and GROW!!!

:)