Gaining muscle is Intensity driven, not Time driven....

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
matter2003

Gaining muscle is Intensity driven, not Time driven....

Post by matter2003 »

Just something some of the newer members might need some reinforcement with, as they may have been using other modalities for long periods of time...

Gaining muscle in quantity is ALWAYS intensity based, NEVER time based. You cannot make up for lifting heavier weights by lifting lighter weights for more reps and more sets. The body becomes bigger and stronger because it is strained by more weight, it is the only way it knows how to cope with it. Lifting lighter weight for more reps or sets, does not and never will impart the same effect. In fact, when you are lifting weights, the body believes that "gravity" has changed and become heavier, and it responds by making the muscles bigger and better able to cope with the greater gravity. This is why you could do 1,000 lb bench presses in space and gain not an ounce of muscle. There is no gravity.

Think back to physics and one of the most fundamental of all equations:

M=FA or Mass=Force x Acceleration

Notice that neither distance, frequency, nor time is involved in this equation. Simply put, no amount of distance the rep travels, frequency of the number of reps/sets done, nor time under the weight will produce the same effect as a heavier weight in building up bigger muscles.

Before you think that is ridiculous, keep in mind this is a universal equation that applies to all things. The body is no different than any other thing being measured by this equation, so why would the result be different? It wouldn't, is the simple answer.

To make it clear, I am not saying that "you cannot build muscle" in other ways, I am simply saying that to build muscle quickly and efficiently, heavier weights have to be used, which is what this is all about in the long run...lifting heavier and heavier weights, with shorter and shorter rest periods for 6-7 weeks and then giving the body a rest before you completely burn out the CNS from doing this. Then letting the body chill for a few weeks while it gets used to its new "normal".

Also consider that most "workout programs" out there are developed and done by pro bodybuilders who are on steroids. These programs work in large part because they can continue to pack on muscle even while being in an over-trained and exhausted state. Unfortunately, since you aren't on steroids(at least I sincerely hope not), you cannot. I sincerely believe that most people following a 4 x week lifting schedule are putting their bodies in a state of perpetual exhaustion. I used to be one of those people.

On this program I switched to lifting twice a week and I gained more muscle in 3 months than I did in a year on any other program. You build muscle while resting. What sense does it make to train again when your body is still trying to rebuild the muscle that was broken down in the last training session? It would be like trying to build a 25 story building, but every time you get to the 10th story, you go up there with a wrecking ball and knock it down to the 3rd story again. If there is one thing that most people find amazing it is that I only lift twice a week. I always hear from people they are planning to get bigger by going to the gym more often. I have to laugh to myself because I know from experience the only thing they are going to get from that is frustrated with virtually no gains over a long period of time...

Listen to Rob...1 day on, 2 days off...more days off as needed. You do NO good and lots of harm by short circuiting your bodies muscle building while resting by over-training...
tufluk

Post by tufluk »

Great write up

its all true folks!
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

Isn't it
Force = Mass x Acceleration?

and acceleration is distance over time....... sort of a different context than the time you're speaking of, but its in there..

(one of my football coaches used to give the wrong physics equation for force all the time...)

The moral of the story is correct though :)
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Pretty much every person the minute we talk about bodybuilding asks me either how much I bench or how often do I work out.And someone implied a guy was working harder/smarter than me cause he went to the gym every day.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

...to build muscle quickly and efficiently, heavier weights have to be used, which is what this is all about in the long run...lifting heavier and heavier weights, with shorter and shorter rest periods for 6-7 weeks and then giving the body a rest before you completely burn out the CNS from doing this. Then letting the body chill for a few weeks while it gets used to its new "normal".
typical BP'r post - sugar coating everything :wink:
Why don't you just tell it like it is instead of beating around the busch ?
:lol:
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Always remember, the formula is as follows...

STIMULATE, RECOVER, GROW

You stimulated with MAX intensity. How do you recover? Rest days! No rest days/recovery?

No growth.

It's really that simple. This isn't like making money. Most people have been trained to believe that if you want more money, you work more hours. Doesn't work that way here.

You work hard and smart, you reap the rewards. A BIG part of that is busting your tail in the gym, then RESTING.

The notes don't makes the music but rather, the spaces in between...