Progesterone: The forgotten male hormone

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
matter2003

Progesterone: The forgotten male hormone

Post by matter2003 »

Came across something in my studies that I found intriguing and might help quite a few people having Low T/ED issues or people who have symptoms of estrogen dominance/excess estrogen even if its within normal ranges(thanks to xenoestrogens all around us).

Apparently Progesterone has been found to be very important to males to the point some consider it a secondary male sex hormone to Testosterone. It acts as a counterbalance to estrogen by acting as an antagonist to it via multiple mechanisms, and has been found to have a synergistic effect with Testosterone in regards to muscle building/fat loss.

It is also the most potent known inhibitor of the 5-alpha-reductase enzyme, which converts T into DHT which can lead to male pattern baldness and prostate enlargement. This inhibition leads to increased T levels in the body.

In fact, some doctors are using Progesterone as a natural form of TRT, and it has shown to be quite effective at raising T levels by itself, in some cases from mid 100's to 600 or 700 with no other treatment.

Here is a summary of the Pro's of Progesterone I have found:

-Has a synergistic effect on Testosterone that enhances its muscle building effects, to the point some consider it a secondary male sex hormone

-Most potent known inhibitor of the 5-alpha-reductase enzyme(DHT) via its metabolite 17-0H-progesterone. By blocking this enzyme it promotes higher T levels in the body while reducing male pattern baldness and prostate enlargement issues. Used in the treatment of benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) in men via a transscrotal delivery system.

-Antagonizes Estrogen via several mechanisms. It competes for the receptor with estrogen and regulates cell metabolism to promote the oxidative pathway preventing the conversion of the weaker Estrone into the stronger Estradiol.

-Increases the body's use of fat stores for energy

-Increases Libido

-Corrects ED via the same pathway as Viagara, enhancing NO production. A progesterone/testosterone cream was able to help correct the hormonal imbalance commonly found in men with erectile dysfunction

-Helps to normalize blood sugar levels

-Helps to normalize thyroid function

-Stimulates new bone formation

-Improves brain function and has anti-depressant properties

-Acts as a natural diuretic in opposition to estrogen's tendency to hold in water.

-Improves skin problems such as acne, rosacea, seborrhea and PSORIASIS

-Effective as a gyno treatment

-Diminishes muscle and joint aches and pains and has anti-inflammatory properties via activation of the p53 gene and increase in natural anti-inflammatory compounds IL-10 and TH-2 cytokines which suppress the pro inflammatory TH-1 cytokines. Also reduces the Natural Killer(NK) cells and other markers of inflammation in the body. Matrix Metalloproteinases (MMP) play a key role in inflammation--estrogen maintains secretion of these proteins while progesterone inhibits them. Reduces the expression of pro-inflammatory genes and their protein products.

-Prevents lipid peroxidation and confers vascular protection. It has an anti-atherogenic action by preventing the conversion of cholesterol into cholesteryl ester.

-Prevents vasoconstriction by increasing levels of nitric oxide (NO), which causes vasodilation allowing blood vessels to relax, and so widens them allowing more blood to flow through and it inhibits platelet aggregation.

-Helps with both depression and insomnia as it raises serotonin levels in the brain. Serotonin is our 'happy' neurotransmitter, it is also the precursor to melatonin (the 'sleep' hormone).

-Has a calming effect by activating the GABA receptor sites via its metabolite Allopreganolone. GABA is our most calming, inhibitory neurotransmitter and effective against some forms of epilepsy.

-Stimulates leptin secretion

-Acts indirectly to increase aldosterone by mechanisms similar to sodium restriction

-Promotes regeneration and myelination of axons

-Has a neuroprotective and antioxidant effect in injured nervous system

-Has multiple effects on glial cells

-The progesterone metabolite allopregnanolone reduces the brain's response to stress

-Directly upregulates Vitamin D Hormone gene receptors and some studies indicate it increases Vitamin D efficiency by 3 times normal even with no increase in Vitamin D intake.

-Inhibits prolactin release

Also, even if estrogen levels are within normal male ranges, a person can still have symptoms of estrogen dominance if their levels of progesterone are not high enough. Low estrogen and low progesterone = estrogen dominance and similar symptoms to excess estrogen.

Here are several studies and articles regarding progesterone and its importance in men.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15669543
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25548222
https://chestsculpting.com/progesterone- ... reduction/
https://www.progesteronetherapy.com/prog ... z3Y0RehYM3
https://www.progesteronetherapy.com/prog ... z3Y0RehYM3

Best part is, progesterone is very cheap, readily available in a cream and has virtually no sides. Make sure you get a cream free from Parabens and one that has between 400 to 500 mg of Progesterone per ounce.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Interestingly enough, some of the most powerful pro-hormones one the market were non-methylated progestins (Max LMG, for example).

It just goes to show you that sometimes, the answer you're looking for is found in obscure places... ;-)
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

RobRegish wrote:Interestingly enough, some of the most powerful pro-hormones one the market were non-methylated progestins (Max LMG, for example).

It just goes to show you that sometimes, the answer you're looking for is found in obscure places... ;-)
Yep, Deca and Masteron are also progesterone based...
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

matter2003 wrote:
RobRegish wrote:Interestingly enough, some of the most powerful pro-hormones one the market were non-methylated progestins (Max LMG, for example).

Well you got that wrong lol
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

DaCookie wrote:
matter2003 wrote:

Well you got that wrong lol
Yeah, knew I should have looked that up instead of taking someone's word for it...Deca is, but Masteron is DHT based...
cogrick2

Post by cogrick2 »

Great post with plenty of progesterone benefits that are new to my eyes. A doctor had me (age about 35) start with oral progesterone as well as a pharmacist-only adrenal supplement (includes bovine adrenal). Together with my recent, usual supplements (magnesium, zinc, astaxanthin a few times per week, two Life Extension adrenal supplements, to name a few, 300-600mg phenibut at night), I am noticing a libido increase (mentioned in the OP).
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

cogrick2 wrote:Great post with plenty of progesterone benefits that are new to my eyes. A doctor had me (age about 35) start with oral progesterone as well as a pharmacist-only adrenal supplement (includes bovine adrenal). Together with my recent, usual supplements (magnesium, zinc, astaxanthin a few times per week, two Life Extension adrenal supplements, to name a few, 300-600mg phenibut at night), I am noticing a libido increase (mentioned in the OP).
What dosage are you taking? From what I read Progesterone is not absorbed well orally, so it likely is a higher dose to get the amount you need(unless its formulated specifically to be more bio-available)...most I have seen are transdermal creams that you can buy online and are really inexpensive, $12-20 for 4 ounces at 500mg an ounce...typical dosage is between 10-50mg a day depending on how much estrogen you are trying to balance, in my case I'll probably start at 20mg twice a day or so and see how that goes before making a higher or lower adjustment...
cogrick2

Post by cogrick2 »

12mgs a night. It's actually a topical oil that she wants me to use orally. I am going to ask her why she prefers oral intake. I also remember reading in the past that it is not absorbed well orally.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Might also explain why when guys filter out the estrogen (or is it progesterone?) in Synovex, their gains aren't nearly as good...

Never did a fina conversion. The recipe did come in handy though, when bulk PH powders were still on the market. 4-AD Cyp anyone?

They used to sell 1-Test Cyp too!!! ;-)
thicketman

Post by thicketman »

Matter, are you using this right now? If so, what is your impression of it?
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

thicketman wrote:Matter, are you using this right now? If so, what is your impression of it?
Yes I am using it currently...

My impressions are:

1) It makes me horny as hell
2) It gives me erections that feel like they are going to burst through my skin

I love the shit, lol
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Matter hits us with yet another undervalued and unappreciated anabolic... :)
thicketman

Post by thicketman »

Keep us posted...very interested here. I'm also interested in any body comp changes you feel like you could attribute to it.

I've wondered for some time if I have an estrogen dominance issue. I tend to store more fat on my chest than the average male, even when I'm lean. I also bloat fairly easily. Also, I can gain 5-8 lbs of water weight over a weekend easily, then lose it in a day as I tighten my diet back up.
burythesystem

Post by burythesystem »

Any updates? Very interested to see how this is going for anyone who is taking progesterone long term. Would also appreciated more specific guidance on dose, timing, cream or oil, topical vs oral, etc.